What are my rights if I contractor hired to fix my kitchen but he will not be able to complete the kitchen within the time that the contract states?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I contractor hired to fix my kitchen but he will not be able to complete the kitchen within the time that the contract states?

I hired a man to fix my kitchen. His contract stated that the kitchen would be done between 4 to 7 weeks. It is about to be 7 weeks and nothing has been begun. Last time I reached out by text asking when they would start and the lady that works for the company explained that he had been injured on another job and will not be able to give me a date of when he would do my kitchen. She claims that since they have pictures and evidence that he was injured that they have the right to not work on the kitchen until the doctor gives him permission to work. If they do not follow what the contract says, can I demand my deposit back.? Would that make them in breach of contract whether the man is injured or not?

Asked on May 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She is wrong: his medical issues or the company's staffing issues (e.g. no one else to do the work) are NOT your concern and do not all them to violate the contract or keep your money without permforming. If they will not agree to terminate the contract and return your deposit, sue them for "breach of contract" (violating the agreement about when the work would be completed) to get your money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption