Can an employer radically change your position?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer radically change your position?

I’ve been working in office related field my entire adult life I’m 53. All office duties were eliminated I was part-time HR assistant and part-time activities computer work only and I was moved into a Memory Care Unit, working with Alzheimer/Dementia patients one on one. My title was changed to

Asked on May 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is perfectly legal for your employer to racically change your position, unless you had a still-in-effect written employment contract guarantying you a specific job. Otherwise, under the doctrine of "employment at will" (the law in every state), your employer has sole control or discretion over you job, and you have to do whatever duties or tasks or responsibilities, with whatever title they choose. If they are violating some state law about the licensing of people doing what they have you doing, the state may sanction them--but from your persective, your job is whatever they want it to be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption