If my 22 year-old daughter doesn’t pay any rent/utilities, do I still need to formally evict her?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 22 year-old daughter doesn’t pay any rent/utilities, do I still need to formally evict her?

I told her to be out before the end of the month.

Asked on April 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Technically, if she is not paying rent (including indirectly, such as by paying utilities), she is a guest, not a tenant. A guest can remain only so long as you let her, and you could revoke permission at any time. Once  you revoke permission, she is technically a trespasser; at that point, if she does not leave, the police should, in theory, help remove her. However, the police often refuse to intervene, if the person has been living there for a time and claims some right to be there--they want the courts to determine the rights in that case. Therefore, if you ask her to leave and she will not, and either the police do not help you (or you do not want to call them on your daughter), speak with an attorney: you may need to bring either an eviction or an ejectment action ("ejectment" is the legal action to remove someone who is not a tenant, but does claim some right to the premises) to get her to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption