work comp claim will my signature on a severance and general release agreement stop my treatment or possibility of reembersment for perm injury?

was injured at work one year ago and work comp is paying to have my back treated but i was laid off and to get my severance pay i have to sign a paper saying i realese employer from all claims except from age discrimination. will it affect my claim to treatment or compensation if i never recover?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Personal Injury, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you should have an attorney in your area review the agreement, before you sign it.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

I'm not an Indiana attorney, and the workers compensation laws have some differences from one state to the next. However, it's likely that this release wouldn't keep you from getting continued treatment, and from making your workers compensation claim for permanent disability if it comes to that.  You might talk to your attorney about filing a formal compensation claim, before signing the release.  Most states also punish employers who retaliate against employees for filing compensation claims, so that should not endanger your severance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.