Will my boyfriend be deported? Can we do anything?

My boyfriend came on a student visa. He did not attend school for one semester,
but now is taking classes. He has a court date next month because of the
semester when he didn’t take classes. Does it help that he is now enrolled and
taking classes? We were planning on marrying, but not for another year or two.
Would that help? We have been dating for a year and a half. Thanks

Asked on September 29, 2017 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He is not going to be deported but it may be that his student visa is not renewed and he is not permitted to continue taking classes until he leaves the country and reapplies for a new student visa.  A violation of one's international student visa status is taken very seriously.  If you want to get married, you can do that and then file for his adjustment of status on the basis of marriage.  In that case, he will no longer need the student visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.