Can I get green card or citizenship while pursuing Post Doctoral Program ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get green card or citizenship while pursuing Post Doctoral Program ?

I am on non immigrant student visa in US. I am an immigrant born and raised
in another foreign country which are amongst the eligible countries to get
green card

I did my master’s and got selected for Post Doctoral Ph.D. I have done some
internships and continuing to do internships with legal permission.

Can I apply for Green Card ?

Asked on September 29, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No you cannot just get a green card.  You have to be sponsored for the green card based on employment or, if you qualify, you can try to do a self sponsored green card as an alien of extraordinary ability.  However, just because you are pursuing a PhD does not make you qualified.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption