What to do when an insurer denies a claim?

I have an auto insurance policy (full coverage) and was in a storm which resulted in damage to my vehicle. My insurer states that it was not damage from the storm but damage that occured over time. I’ve had 2 body shops look at it and they said that it was damage done all on 1 day and consistant to the timeframe of the storm. The rep for my insurer tells me that I should file a police report of vandalism and submit that. It’s getting out of control and the insurer will not fix my car at all. They state that there is damage but since they don’t know what type of damage it is, they will deny it 100%.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Insurance Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your auto insurer has denied your claim with respect to damage to the car that you are writing about, you have the following options:

1. make a complaint against it with your state's Department of Insurance. This entity fields consumer complaints against insurance carriers and conducts investigations into such matters;

2. consult with an attorney who practices in the area of insurance and consumer law to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.