After my car has been repossessed, can the lender make a claim against my insurance for body damage to the car?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After my car has been repossessed, can the lender make a claim against my insurance for body damage to the car?

We relinquished a vehicle, and a couple of weeks later I received a notice from my insurance company that the lender was filing a claim against my insurance for some minor body damage to the car. Can they do that? I thought the car was to be sold “as is” at auction and if they can’t get the loan amount, they will come after us. How can they claim against our insurance, if they are selling the car “as is”?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible in the realm of possibilities that the lender who repossessed the vehicle that you were not making payments on but was a presumed additional insured upon it can make a claim to the insurance carrier for the vehicle for repairs of assorted body damage to it. Whether or not the insurance carrier will accept the claim remains to be seen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption