What should regarding custody of my child?

I am a single mother and have a 1 year old son. His father is in the army and is in another state; he has threatened to take my son. The thing is he is never around and when he does see him it’s for like 10 minutes. I plan on moving and I haven’t told him but I know he is going to flip out. He pays child support so what should I do? I want to file for full custody so I won’t have a problem when I move.

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that you are wise to go and speak with ana ttorney about custidy of your son as well as requesting the right to move (if the new place is going to offer better family support or financial life or some other good reason).  You need to know that generally speaking if you were never married - and there is not order establishing custody and support - that you are the only legal guardian of the child. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.