I earned money as a minor and my father kept it when I left.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I earned money as a minor and my father kept it when I left.

I earned money refereeing soccer and mowing lawns throughout high school. My father put it into a saving account. I moved out at seventeen and I haven’t seen a dime of my money. Am I entitled to the money I earned?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Estate Planning, Colorado


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Of course you are entitled to your money and I would assume your money was in a savings account that you held jointly with your father. Now the problem becomes that even though your entitled to the money if held in a joint account the other named individual is also entitled to the money.

If it turns out that that person took the money and it was yours the only option you have is to contact a local attorney and explain to them the situation. Being as I am not admitted in CO I cant answer for sure as to whether you have a valid cause of action. In general I would think you will have a very hard time pursing this matter legally with both names on the account although I don't know if CO has any laws to protect minors in this situation so you should at least make a phone call to see if you can find out some more information. Good luck with everything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption