If I have a chance for a new job but it pays less than my current job, can my spousal support be reduced?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a chance for a new job but it pays less than my current job, can my spousal support be reduced?

About 3 years ago, I was divorced and ordered to pay $20,000 a year for 10 years, plus half my retirement. I am not able to retire for 6 years but I have another job opportunity that I am wishing to look into. This job pays less than half of what I am being paid now and is in St Croix VI. Am I still on the hook for the $20,000 a year?

Asked on October 13, 2015 under Family Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

While you can apply to the court for a reduction in your support obligation, the odds are very much against the reduction being granted. The courts do not generally allow reductions when someone voluntarily as opposed to due to a layoff beyond their control takes steps to reduce their income the courts feel that you cannot unilaterally by your own choices reduce your obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption