What shall I do if compensation has not been given?

If compensation has not been given for work done but another employee with same job has gotten promoted. What shall I do?

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

An employee is entitled to be paid for all work completed. If your employer has failed to properly pay your wages and compenesate you for the perfomance of your job duties, then you can file a wage claim complaint with your states's department of labor and/or sue the company in small claims court (if you win you will also be awarded reimbursemnt for your filing fees, etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.