What is the process after getting married to get SSN and green card?

I’m a non US citizen and got married with my US citizen boyfriend. What is the
process that I should follow now to get my SSN and green card?

Asked on October 19, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you entered the US lawfully and are now married to a US citizen, you are eligible to apply for adjustment of status to permanent residence (green card) on the basis of that marriage.  That will allows you to also obtain a social security card.  You can either apply for this on your own if you feel you can do it correctly or you can have an immigration attorney assist you with the process.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.