Do we have any legal claim on some land if we have been paying taxes on it for over 10?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have any legal claim on some land if we have been paying taxes on it for over 10?

However,  it’s still in my mom’s late husband’s ex-wife’s name?

Asked on January 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help from a real estate and estate attorney in your area as soon as you possibly can.  There are a whole host of problems here that I can see popping up here and the least of them are the payment of the taxes.  Paying the taxes does not necessarily give you any ownership rights in property.  You could maybe place a lien on the property for the taxes paid and I would discuss that with the real estate attorney when you go an see him or her.  You also have to sort out the issue of ownership (which may not be so simple here and may involve divorce decrees) and proper transfer out of the names of deceased individuals.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption