What form do I- fill to make my organization a nonprofit?

I do not wish to have 501(c)3 tax-exempt status; I simply want to become a non-profit.

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Business Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In order to be a nonprofit organization you need to file an application with the Internal Revenue Service seeking what you want. However, for all intents and purposes, a nonprofit organization and a tax exempt organization (26 U.S.C. section 501 (c) (3) status) are one and the same under Internal Revenue Service regulations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.