what do I do when I’m constantly being harassed by a assistant General manager?

He, constantly picks on me, gets
up in my face and yells.Blames
things that has nothing to do with
me. Threatens me with my job and
it’s not only me. He degrades
African American workers all the

Asked on May 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If it wasn't about race, you would have no recourse: the law allows a co-worker, a manager, or an employer to be as harassing, mean, nasty, unprofessional, etc. as he or she likes. Unless upper management chooses to do something about such issues, their is no recourse.
Except, that is, when the harassment is aimed at employees due to certain protected characteristics, the main one of which is race: the law specifically prohibits harassing employees due to race. If this assistant manager is harassing African Americans and the general manager is refusing to take action despite being made aware of the situation, that is likely illegal race-based employment discrimination or harassment. You could contact the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint; you may be entitled to monetary compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.