College money was left to me as a minor so my mother’s name is on it. How can I get money even though she refuses to let me access it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

College money was left to me as a minor so my mother’s name is on it. How can I get money even though she refuses to let me access it?

I do not have passwords to the online account and she will not give me access to the money. I can not use a check without her signature.

Asked on September 30, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Ok so more facts are needed here but what I am gathering is that you were left money as a minor and that it was disbursed by the Estate of the giver to Mom on your behalf.  Was it put in an "in trust for" account?  Was it given to Mom directly?  Is it in a 529 account?  All this matters.  However, getting Mom to give you the money may come down to a court battle for it.  Is it possible to have a close firned or family member intercede here and try and mediate between you and Mom?  If Mom is Trustee of the funds then she has power to decide how it is disbursed.  If she is not making decisions properly (as a fiduciary) then you need to have her removed as Trustee.  I think mediation by some one both she and you trust is a good idea.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption