What do I do if I was involved in a hit and run?

Apparently, I hit a car while I was parking. I didn’t realize it at the time. I thought I was too close to the car, so I backed out of the parking spot, and moved over one. A witness called the cops and said I fled the scene of the crime. Later that evening a cop showed up at my house and kept asking me what I did at the store. I had no idea what was going on and I said I didn’t know. Then he said if I was going to “be that way” he would see me in court. Now I have a citation for a hit and run. I don’t have money for an attorney. Do I need one? Will I lose my license or go to jail?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were cited for a hit and run to appear in court, it is very, very important that you attend the date, time and place of the hearing set forth in your citiation. Failure to do so will result in the issuance of a bench warrant for your arrest which if that happens, more expense and problems for you will result.

Whether you lose your driver's license or go to jail for the citiation remains to be seen. Most likely if the charge or charges in the citation were significant, you would have been immediately arrested and not given the opportunity to show up in person at court.

Criminal matters are serious. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney. There may be a "legal aid" program in your community that can assist you with further questions that you may have.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.