What can I do if my employer does not pay on time?

Also, it won’t give me an advance when needed and tries to rob me of days I have already worked.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country all employers are required to place in a conspicuous place at work a placard issued by your state's department of labor stating pay days for the employees. If your employer does not pay per stated pay periods, he or she is in violation of the law.

I suggest that given the problems you have with getting paid on time and not being paid for the hours that you have worked that you consult with an employment attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.