What can I do if my neighbor is blowing leaves into my yard?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my neighbor is blowing leaves into my yard?

I have a property and it’s come to my attention that a neighbor has developed the habit of blowing all their leaves onto the property, leaving me with the expense of having them bagged and disposed of. Other then asking them nicely to stop – is there anything I should cite to make it more of a cease and desist? I’ve tried google for relevant statutes but am mostly finding references to noise related nuisances.

Asked on April 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no good solution, unfortunately: you could technically try to file a "nuisance" suit (someone doing something inappropriate which disturbs neighbors), but those can be slow and expensive and are far from certain. You could also try billing her for the extra expense of bagging and disposing, and suing her if she won't pay, but even in small claims court, that may be more trouble than its worth. You could also simply blow her leaves back on her property--there's no law saying you can't return another person's rubbish, debris, etc. to them but have to accept and dispose of it yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption