What are the written exceptions to a recommended custody order?

I, the mom, was granted primary physical custody of my 2 sons about a year ago. My ex went to modify custody and we saw the master about a week ago when she gave him primary physical custody. My ex was violent against me and a menace to the children. I had a pfa for me and the kids which I subsequently dropped only to be with my children a week later in a domestic violence shelter trying to get away from him. I moved around a bit and had some issues with the school district I placed him in. What is considered a basis to appeal her recommendation?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are asking a very specific question about an on-going case. Accordingly, an attorney would need to have knowledge of all of the facts of your situation to be able to answer your question. Therefore, what you need to do now is to contact a lawyer in your immediate area who specializes in child custody cases. They will best be in a position to determine on what basis to appeal the Master's recommendations.

If money is an issue for you, see if you qualify under the income guidelines for Legal Aid. If not, see if there is a list of "pro bono" family law attorneys on file with your state and/or county bar associations; if so they will take such a case for little or no cost to you. Finally, see if there is a law school in your vicinity; many times they run legal clinics that handle such cases for free or little cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.