What are the steps to marry my international partner?


I am an NYC-based male actor that plans to marry my male partner also an
actor when he arrives into NYC in two weeks under his tourist visa. We plan
to live in NYC for the foreseeable future together. Our most important
question is

When can he be able to legally work in NYC?

Additionally, can you provide an link or additional documentation that walks
us through the paperwork process and timeline? Many thanks

Asked on May 20, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You definitely DO NOT want to do this as soon as he arrives because this is what constitutes misrepresentation at the time of entry for him and will lead to a denial most likely.  One cannot be traveling to the US as a tourist if the intention is to get married to a US citizen.  Certainly this type of intention can arise in the future but not within 2 weeks ( that is not future).  I would strongly suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney before you do anything so that it does not jeopardize his future ability to immigrate.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.  You can contact me directly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.