If the apartment building I just moved into is infested with silver fish, can I break the lease?

I just moved into my apartment 3 weeks ago. This whole apatment building is infested with silverfish and every time the landlord sprays the number increaeses He sprayed twice but what good will it do if the whole building is infested they are nocturnal? I killed 5 today alone in the light, plus at the least 2 a day since I moved in. It is interupting my home living in many ways and I’m worried about my baby. I would like to break my lease tbut here is nothing about bugs in it. Do I have right to break it?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless your local health department has tagged your unit as being a health hazard, unfortunately for you the presence of silverfish that your landlord is trying to abate does not in and of itself give you the right to terminate your lease without recourse.

I suggest that perhaps the landlord hire a professional extermination company to eliminate the problem if he is trying to do it himself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.