If my father recently passed away and my husband receives federal benefits that could be affected by my inheritance, what should I do?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father recently passed away and my husband receives federal benefits that could be affected by my inheritance, what should I do?

He had no Will and I am the sole heir. My husband receives SSI and Medicaid so any money I receive could affect his benefits. My dad had a home with a mortgage that he still owes $52,000 on; it was originally appraised at $75,000. Should I give it back to the bank or try to sell it?

Asked on January 20, 2015 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Re-applying for SSI is a very painful and emotionally taxing process, so you don't want to do anything that would jeapardize his eligibility.  However, you may not have to give up the inheritance.  Depending on your current income, you may be able to structure your receipt or sell of the house in such a way that it won't affect your income too much so as to affect your husband's benefits.  To make a final decision on whether to keep, sell, or do something else with the house... talk to three different people:  1.  Talk to an SSI attorney so see what the administrators in your area will entertain, 2.  Talk to a finance specialist-- they can give you some options for how to set up trusts or investments to limit the actual income that you receive as result of the gift, 3. Talk to a realtor to make sure that there is equity in the home.  If the house has depleted in value-- then the inheritance may be a wash and you are stressing for no reason.  If the equity is very low, it may result in a small gift to you, but not large enough to affect your husband's benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption