Should I get a lawyer regarding a car accident?

Almost a month ago, my fiancee was struck by another vehicle. They had full coverage insurance and the insurance company totaled my car. They stated the damages are worth more than the vehicle and they are only offering me half of what the loan on my car is, so it leaves me with no vehicle and a $4,000 loan to still pay off. The accident was not our fault.

Asked on November 17, 2018 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to reject the settlement offer and sue the at-fault party for negligence. I assume your fiancee was not injured in the accident since you did not mention injuries.
It will be difficult to find an attorney to represent you in a non-injury auto accident case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.