Shared spetic pump neighbor’s home going to foreclosure

My neighbor’s home is “wired” for our shared septic pump. They have moved out and their home is going to foreclosure. I have no way to efficently contact them. I am scared their power will be shut off and I will not have a spetic pump. Power company will not notify us if they are being turned off. Do I have rights to this information to prevent it from happening or do I have rights to re-wire this pump without notifying the owners of the home to be foreclosed?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Vermont


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you have too much at stake here, not to talk to a lawyer about this as soon as possible.  One place to find a qualified attorney near you is our website,

There are some important factual details that your lawyer will need, to give you reliable advice, such whether the pump is actually in your home or your neighbor's.  It sounds as if your house will be uninhabitable if that pump isn't working, so I would think that there has to be a way to keep it on.  But there is quite probably a right way, and another way that ends up being much more expensive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.