Real estate appraiser didn’t finish job

We started loan process and have been waiting on appraisal. Appraiser came to property 30 days ago and said she would have report in 3-4 days. Well we still don’t have report. She will not return our calls or the banks. We have already paid. Since waiting our interest rate has went up and now our payment in $75 more a month. Bank advised us to get a new appraiser. Is there anything we can do about the appraiser?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First do what you bank said and get a new appraisal before your interest rate rises even more.  Ask the bank for a reference.

Your options are to sue the appraiser in small claims Court for the fee and report her to the the agency that licenses her in Ohio.  File a complaint.  Now, I am not admitted in Ohio so I do not know what the law is with regard to real estate appraiser liability and their requirements for insurance for professional liability, but I would find out if, because of her actions, you can sue her for the increase in your monthly payment.  Only a layer who handles professional liability in Ohio can tell you that. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.