How can i get a collection agency to stop calling me?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can i get a collection agency to stop calling me?

I bought a laptop with a preferred account. I was recently laid off work and fell behind with making payments. I’ve expressed this several times to collection agents over the phone, but they continue to call and ask me for payments. Is it harassment to call someone and ask for a payment when the person explained why they can’t make it? Also, could I have them to stop calling me and then make the payments when I can?

Asked on October 30, 2010 under General Practice, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Calling you is not harassment or a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.  They would have to say certain things or threaten you in some way in order to be a violation of the act.  They really have a right to keep calling you for payment as you have violated the agreement to pay for the laptop.  Your explanation is really not enough and quite frankly, they do not care.  They just want payment.  Have you tried to negotiate a lower payment with them?  Maybe if you extend your payments over a certain period of time them you will be able to at least keep current until you get a new job.  Try that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption