question about seperation and divorce alimony in pa.

one year ago i was seperated from my wife because of issues with alcohol and depression. I went to a rehab for 40 days. My wife and I agreed to seperation from 6 months to 12 months…3 months into the seperation she filed for divorce with a lawyer and stipulations concerning divorce…I wanted the marriage to work and now she is in full pursuit of the alimony. Is she entitled to anything?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your wife has a lawyer, I very strongly recommend that you get an attorney to represent you in this.  One place to find qualified counsel is our website,

It's simply impossible to say whether or not your wife is entitled to alimony without a complete review of the case.  While I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney (and the law does differ significantly from one state to the next), some of the facts that probably have to be considered by the court would include the length of the marriage, your income and hers, the marital assets and how they are going to be divided, and possible the lifestyle the two of you shared while you were together.  If your illness has seriously decreased your earning power, this can get very complicated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.