When working out of town overnight, what accommodations have to be provided by an employer?

We were taken in a company van and told that state law implies that we must be paid 24 hours a day while at the site we were camping overnight and using our own personal camping supplies, and had no access to transportation or water? What is the law in this scenario?

Asked on September 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) No, they do not need to pay you for 24 hours per day while working out of town. You need to be paid for the time you actually work and for your travel time, but not your out-of-time down, leisure, sleeping, etc. time.
2) You can be required to provide or pay for your own transportion, accommodation, food, etc. The employer does not have to pay for or reimburse you for these things, though you should keep your receipts: you may be able to claim a tax deduction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.