Payment for Repairs

I had a motorcycle accident and took it
to a repair shop to find out my motor
was locked up. I went and found a
replacement motor to put into my bike.
The mechanic didn’t check the motor
before he put it in and states I owe
him 500 for the work he has done. He
stated that he could fix my motorcycle
but hasn’t so I don’t want to pay him
that amount and my bike isn’t running
so what are my options

Asked on June 27, 2017 under Business Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

IF the mechanic had sourced or located the replacement motor for you, he would be obligated to check it before installing it; if he did not and the motor did not work after being installed, he would be responsible to fix the problem (since he caused it) and would not be entitled to payment until he did. If he won't comply in this case, you could sue him to get your bike back and the cost to complete the repairs (and/or for a return of any money already paid him).
But you write that *you* "found a replacement motor to put into" your motorcylce. If you provided the motor to the mechanic and told him to install it, then he was *not* responsible for making sure it worked--his job was to do what you told him to do and put the new motor in. If he installed it correctly but the problem was the motor that you provided, then that is your responsibility, not his: he is entitled to payment for the work he did at your instructions, with a motor you provided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.