Obtaining a Deed to a house

My parents are deceased and we cannot find a copy of the deed to the house. All we have is a copy of a notarized will that states the house should go to my brother when my parents expire. We went to one lawyer, its been a year and he still has not helped to get the name changed or a copy of the deed so my brother can use this for tax purposes.help

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not admitted in Michigan.  In Michigan, a deed is a public record and is available from the county Register of Deeds for $1 per page for a simple photocopy.  For a certified copy, there is an additional $1 charge. Some counties also allow homeowners to view and print their deeds from their Web site. 

Go down to the county offices yourself and get a copy. You say that your Mother left a Will that transfers the house to your brother.  Is the attorney probating the Will?  This may need to be done depending how the Will was written.  It may be time to ask the attorney for your file and go elsewhere.  Good luck. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.