How do I get back money that a “friend” misappropriated?

My friend and I were going to open up a bar. At the time I was stationed in Germany with the US Army. I opened up an account with our names and I put in $20,000 of my money so he could find a place and pay what needed to get done to open it up. He never did anything an he spent all of the monry. Now, I have no bar and no money. What can I do to get my money back?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for the money: if he took your money without your permission and against the terms of an agreement (written or oral) between you, he committed  one or more of fraud (lying about his intentions), conversion (a form of theft), and/or breach of contract. These provide grounds for a lawsuit; a lawsuit is how you recover money taken unlawfully from you. With $20k at stake, you would be well-advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.