If Iam being sued by my NY landlords but now live in NJ, how do I go about finding a lawyer?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iam being sued by my NY landlords but now live in NJ, how do I go about finding a lawyer?

The summons, however, came from NJ. Our landlords are suing for three months rent, we left the house three months early. They were never helpful with any repairs, etc. We had to call the building inspector to get the front stairs fixed as they were unsafe. The final straw for us was that they refused to have an exterminator come look at our ant problem and would not rent the propane tank for us to fill in order to use the stove and dryer. There were so many more issues than this but they are suing us for about $7000. Do we have a defense? Should I speak with a landlord-tenant attorney? In Monmouh County, NJ.

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should consult with an attorney.  There are many issues that you can raise in an answer to a landlord tenant proceeding that can help to mitigate the amount due.  But be aware that a lease is a contract and by leaving early and not paying rent then you breached the contract and can be sued for the remainder of the lease as damages.  There are certain circumstances where a "constructive eviction" takes place when an apartment is uninhabitable, etc.  But each case is fact specific and you need to discuss it fully with an attorney in New York that is familiar with the law.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption