If my son has become a person of intrest in an on-going investigation, what do I do now?

My son is 14 and no charges have been made, thus far. An officer asked him to come down and give a statement which he has done. We live in a small town and there are only about 9 police officers on our force. Some of these police officers have spoken to members of staff from a local juvenile detention center about my son and this on-going investigation. I see this as a breach of confidentiality. What should I do now?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is no breach of confidentiality from what you have written where there is some investigation by law enforcement as to your son where law enforcement has spoken to members of staff from a local juvenile detention center as to him. Such discussions are typical of a police investigation as to a certain suspect. It would be like law enforcement speaking to one's co-workers about possible criminal activity if some employee was under suspicion for a crime.

I suggest that you and your son consult with a criminal defense attorney that has experience in the juvenile area as a means of protection for your son given the criminal investigation surrounding him as well as possible damage control.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.