If we’re not getting along, can I kick my 16 year old out of the house?

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No you cannot; to "kick out" a minor child (under the age of 18) constitutes the crime of child abandonment. That having been said, if your child has put you in fear for your safety, you can contact the police and they can remove your child from the home.

Note: Abandonment is broadly defined; it can mean failing to financially support your child or leaving them with a neighbor but not communicating with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.