My mother passed away and left no will and I hired a paralegal to do my probate documents in Jan 2011 and we have a contract but nothing

I think I have the documents to file probate but truly have no idea what I am doing. The paralegal that I hired refuse to reply to my e-mail and it has been 7mo since he started but hasn’t filed any paper work and now I am afraid of loosing my mothers home due to all the delays what can I do

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You started with a wrong foot in the first place. I do not know what the paralegal did. Preparing document is one thing. She may be protecting herself not answering your questions. If she answered your questions, it would get dangerously close to unauthorized practice of law, which is a crime in this state. You should find a probate attorney. There are ways to do self-teaching so that you will be able to do it pro per but sounds like an attorney might be a better idea in your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.