Do I have a chance in small claims court for expenses?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a chance in small claims court for expenses?

I was given a medication in April 2015, got sick on it and called the clinic and was prescribed a different med. In November 2015 I was prescribed the same med and had to be hospitalized for sickness and heart attack symptoms. Now the hospital wants payment and so does the ambulance. I believe the clinic should be responsible for this.

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The big problem is that for a malpractice suit, even if you felt compentent to represent yourself "pro se" without an attorney, you *must* have a medical expert (they are required for medical malpractice suits), and medical experts can lost a lot of money--typically, at least $1,200 or $1,500 at a minimum, and frequently more. You could spend more on the lawsuit than the amount of the bill you hope to recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption