If my husband does not have a job, would I have to pay him alimony?

I am thinking of divorcing my husband after 33 years. My husband has not worked in 10 years he is only 53; there is no reason why he shouldn’t work. The house we live in was inherited by his mother however we have a mortgage on it and I pay all the bills of the household. I have not paid the mortgage in 3 months because of lack of money.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you might have to pay your husband spousal support. The fact that he "could" work doesn't necessarily matter--after all, every divorced husband whose spouse was an able-bodied stay-at-home "housewife" could make that same argument, but as you know, able-bodied stay-at-home housewives do typically receive spousal support. The issue is that in your life together, you each had your role: he stayed at home for the last 10 years and you supported him. Therefore, since in your married life you provided the economic support, there is a good chance he would be entitled to spousal support. For a more definitive answer, and to understand how divorce will affect all your assets and obligations, consult with a divorce or matrimonail attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.