If my husband has felonies on his record from 10 years ago, what is the process for getting his record expunged?

He turned his life around many years ago. We are very involved in our church and he is a wonderful husband and father. He is being held back from changing careers and advancing in other areas of his life because of the mistakes he made many years ago.

Asked on February 3, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that not all states allow for the expungment of a felony conviction, or in the ones that do, some of those do not allow more than one felony to be expunged. To check on the law in your state, google the word "expungment" and then the name of your state. You will find online information regarding who is eligible for an expungment and, if so eligible, the steps for going about getting a criminal history record cleared. This is something that your husband might be able to do himself, however, if he feels that it will be too confusing and time consuming, he could hire an attorney to handle this for him. There are lawyers who specialize in just this very thing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.