My husband and I want to put our son’s name on the property deed in the event of our passing, do we need an attorney to do this?

I know it’s called a quitclaim deed.

Asked on October 6, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed will release your entire right, title and interest in the property to your son. The quitclaim deed must be signed in the presence of a notary.  After being signed in the presence of a notary, the quitclaim deed is filed recorded with the County Recorder's Office.  It takes effect upon being filed recorded with the County Recorder's Office.
You don't need an attorney for the quitclaim deed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.