What are my rights if my neighbor’s tree fell and damaged my pool pump?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my neighbor’s tree fell and damaged my pool pump?

At first he was so nice, telling me that he would get on it and make it right since it was his tree. He did repair the visible broken PVC, however the pump is only humming but nothing else is working. When I called and told him this, he claimed his lawyer advised him that state law doesn’t required him to repair the damage property and he did more than what he supposed to do. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on October 6, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The issue is, was he at fault? He would be at fault if there was some reason for him to know that the tree was a risk e.g it was visibily sick or dying it had started leaning excessively etc. but despite knowing or having reason to know of the risk, he failed to take action e.g. trim or take down the tree. In that case, the failure to take reasonable action to avoid a known or obvious risk is negligent, and he should be liable. However, if there was no reason to think that this tree posed any special risk, then he did nothing wrong in not taking action not having been at fault, he would not be liable and would not have to pay. 
The easiest way for you to get compensation, regardless of fault, is to apply to your own insurer that is what you have insurance for. And if you don't have insurance that would cover losses like this, get it for the future insurance provides compensation when there is no one at fault, or when there is an at-fault person but they won't pay voluntarily and you'd rather avoid the cost and trouble of suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption