How do I collect my inheritance?

My great-grandfather passed away over 15 years ago in another state. He left money for me, my brother and my cousin to recieve once we turn 18 years old. I am now 21 years old. How do I/ we recieve our money that he had written in his Will?

Asked on November 20, 2013 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I think that the best way to start is to go and review the estate file to find out how that money was disbursed.  It could have been placed in to a trust account for your benefit or it could have been released to your parent/guardian to place in an account for your benefit.  But the court file should state what happened. From there you can determine what to do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.