What to do if my grandmother wants to give me POA over financial and health matters?

She lives in one state and I live in another? So do I need 2 different Power of Attorneys? Can we sign it at separate times if we get it notarized twice?

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, Washington


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  In Minnesota, generally speaking, the Power of Attorney ('POA') is prepared and signed by the person who wants another person to assist her/him with financial or other property matters. The 'principal' is the person who creates the POA and the person assisting the principal is known as the 'attorney-in-fact'.  Certainly you would want to confer with a Minnesota attorney of your choosing regarding Minnesota legal matters. I recommend that you make several phone calls in choosing an attorney to assist you, because it is very important that you feel a sense of great trust and safety in the private attorney-client relationship.  Oftentimes the legal issues related to the use of a POA are complex in nature and change through and over time.  All the best to you and your family.

Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Generally, a power of attorney is prepared and signed by the principal The agent (you) does not need to sign.  I do not know your state's specific law, or the law of your grandmother's state, but these documents are usually effective even if the POA lives in a different state.  In Florida, it makes no difference if the agent is in Florida or not.  Your grandmother should seek the assistance of a lawyer to prepare the POA.  That lawyer can advise if there are any restrictions on appointing you as the agent.

Please have your grandmother consult a lawyer.  There are many circumstances to consider and you do not want to make a mistake by trying to prepare this document from a form.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.