If my grandmother left me a sum of money for college for when I was of age but since then my dad cashed in whatever that was for me and used for himself, can I sue him?

She left me the money 10-15 years ago. Is there a specific limit of time I should of acted within?

Asked on November 24, 2015 under Estate Planning, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Did your grandmother open a bank account in your name with your dad having the ability to withdraw or did she open a special limited account? Did she just simply give money to your dad to hold for you?
If she had specific written instructions and placed it in a trust or limited bank account, you can sue your father for misappropriation or theft. If she didn't, then it may be your word against his.
Consider consulting with an attorney in your state (civil litigation attorney) if you have sufficient evidence to pursue this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.