Is a husband still responsible for his share of all joint debts if he walks out of the marriage?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a husband still responsible for his share of all joint debts if he walks out of the marriage?

My husband recently walked out on our13 year marriage and left myself and my 9 year old son with autism. We do not own a home but we do rent and both of our names are on the lease. He insists that he isn’t responsible for half the rent (or half the utilities which are in both our names). He said he is only responsible for our “joint” debts which is the car insurance and IRS. I told him our lease is joint because both our names are on it. Who is right? If it was left for the courts to decide would he be responsible for half the rent?

Asked on June 3, 2011 under Family Law, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation. You are correct that your Husband is also responsible for the lease and the utilities for the apartment until such time as a court orders otherwise.  I say the last part becuase  a court can order that he pay support (child and temporary spousal support) which you can use to pay the rent and utilities.Now, that does not get him of the hook with the landlord.  You are both responsible to him or her under the lease which is a contract.  So be careful as to that.  You need to get some help as soon as you can.  You have a son that will need support for all of his life and you need to make sure that you have an attorney that recognizes that.  Good luck to you all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption