What to do if my girlfriend got pregnant and at the time we decided that it would not be a good idea to have my name on the birth certificate?

Now it has been a year since my daughter has been born and my girlfriend and I have broken up. She will not let me see my daughter and is trying to get me to sign a paper saying that I will give her child support. I have told her that I will not give her child support until she puts my name on the birth certificate, she will not give up. Is there any way I can get my name on there legally without getting her signature?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about filing a petition with the court seeking to have a paternity test and if you are deemed the father then you get a court order stating such. Once received, you can have a certified copy of the order deeming you the father filed with the county department of vital statistics.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.