My employer has not paid me for work completed and then he laid me off. What are my options to getting my wages he owes me

I am a laminate floor installer. I
worked for a subcontractor for 16
months. He owes me for 2 weeks in the
hole and then for 4 weeks of work. I
was laid off April 6th and never
received any of my wages. He is still
currentry working and I want to know
what to do to get compensated.

Asked on May 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were an employee, not an independent contractor, or think you were an employee, contact your state department of labor to file a wage complaint; they can often help you get your money.
If the department won't or can't help, or if you were an independent contractor, not employee, you can sue for the money. You would sue for breach of contract: for violating the agreement, whether written or oral, under which you agreed to work for pay. The case you describe is fairly straightforward; you may wish to represent yourself "pro se" to save on legal fees. If the amount in question falls under thw maximum limit for small claims, suing in small claims court is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.