My employer gave me a falsified pay stub. What can i do?

A hand written check was given with promise of a pay stub at a later date. When we received the pay
stubs, pay stubs appeared as if it were fabricated. Dollar amounts, and dates did not match the hand
written check provided. Checks were short funds. 401k and any wage garnishments not accounted for.
In short, we are led to believe that the check issued during transition between pay roll companies was
concocted by our employer.

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Did you get paid the right amount or not? If you were not paid everything to which you were entitled (including the proper deductions), you could possibly file a complaint with the labor department (e.g your state dept. of labor) or sue (such as in small claims court) for the money. But you can also seek the amount you were not paid: therefore, if the amount unpaid was small, it may not be worth taking legal action against your employer. It's not an inaccuracy by itself that gives you a claim for compensation; you only have a claim to the extent you did not receive what you should have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.