If my daughter had a friend who caused major damage to her car as the resultof a faulty repair,does she have a case in small claims court?

She needed a clutch in her car and her friend, with the support of several other individuals, assured her that he knew what he was doing. During the process, he broke both axle seals, resulting in the total loss of all transmission fluid. The gentleman let her drive the car away in that condition, insisting that it was a small leak of axle grease. This resulted in the total failure of the transmission. Because he was a friend and not a certified mechanic, does my daughter have a case in small claims court to recoup the cost of the new transmission?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is unclear whether your daughter has a case. If he were a mechanic--or had represented himself as a mechanic--and was being paid/hired/etc. to fix the car, your daughter would very likely have a claim: a service or repair person who undertakes repairs professionally has an obligation to use care; he or she has a duty to use care. It is not 100% clear however, whether a friend who is doing a favor has that obligation or duty. It also may be the case that your daughter was contributorily negligent by letting non-certified or -trained people work on her car, or that she assumed the risk of damage by letting untrained individuals try to repair it. If there was contributory negligence  or assumption of the risk, that would operate against her recovery.

If she is not worried about her friendship and social repercussions, the cost to file a small claims suit is sufficiently low that she might try it. But if she is worried about consequences like that, given that it far from certain that she could win, she may wish to rethink whether it is worth doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.